My one batch got a little dark because my oil was too hot :(
Mennonite Roll Kuchen:
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk or whipping cream ( add a little more if dough seems dry)
- Mix together to form a dough.
- (This dough works best if you chill it for an hour or so).
- Roll out on floured surface and cut into strips with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Cut each strip into rectangles.
- Cut a small slit in each rectangle and pull one end through to form a twisted shape.
- Fry in hot lard, in small batches (5 or 6 at a time), until golden on each side.
- It is hot enough when the dough rises immediately to the surface.
- Serve with watermelon.
- These freeze well.