Sunday, July 24, 2016

Proverbs 16:9

I am a planner. I like to know stuff. I like the details. However, I have learned "we can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Kiandra is more of a "fly by the seat of her pants" kind of girl. She truly lives by the motto "It will all work out in the end and so why worry about it" and the funny thing is that for her, it usually does work out in the end.

Kiandra earned her NLS on July 15 and as a proud Mom I posted it on Facebook and it didn't take long for requests from people about the need for camp lifeguards to come in the comments and in personal messages. Kiandra is not really a camper. She is usually my trusty sidekick when Conrad takes the other 2 camping. She briefly considered going to be a camp lifeguard but didn't really do anything about it.

A few days ago, Kiandra got a text from someone at our church that a camp 3 hours away was in desperate need of a lifeguard for a canoe trip. When Kiandra told me about it, I literally laughed out loud and she looked at me and said "What?" and I said "YOU would consider going on a canoe trip??!!" and she smiled and said, "well, I could....if I can switch my shifts for that week" and so the process began.

She had 4 shifts to change but it was going to be hard because now as a server, it limited the number of people she could ask. Also, it's summer and many people already have things booked off. Late last night she still only had 2 of the 4 covered. It didn't look like it was going to happen since the canoe trip was scheduled to begin today. All evening I kept asking her questions about the canoe trip and if she was able to get ahold of the people she needed to. I asked her whether I would have to drive her (it's a 6 hour round trip). I kept asking and finally she said, "Mom!! You are stressing out too much and you just need to relax!" Of course, I was still worried and concerned but I really felt that Kiandra was supposed to go on this trip and I prayed specifically that if she was meant to go on this trip that all her shifts would be covered AND that she would be able to find a ride to the camp as well. I shouldn't have been surprised when Kiandra sent me a text at 1:00am to ask if I was still awake. The last person responded (she was closing last night) and all of her shifts were now covered and she was texting back and forth with someone who could get her to the camp if we could drop her off in a small town along the highway.

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps. So she talked to her friend Kara who has canoe trip experience. She talked to a Mom from our church who has 2 sons working at that camp. She stopped to buy a poncho and bug spray and she packed:

It's hard to believe this is all she is bringing for a week!

I started to ask questions about the week:

Do you know where you are going?
Who is picking you up?
Do you know them?
(Are they an axe murderer?)
When does the canoe trip end?
What time are you done?
Am I picking you up?
Do you need money for snacks along the road?
Do you have money to give for gas?
Do you know that a canoe trip is in the wilderness with no wifi or electricity???

and Kiandra just told me to relax and stop stressing because it would be "An Adventure" and that she wasn't worried and so neither should I....easier said than done!

We met her ride in a gas station parking lot (and he didn't LOOK like an axe murderer!) and she took her stuff out of our trunk and loaded up her stuff into his trunk.

This guy even suggested that we stop and pray for safety and for the campers. He led us in prayer and Conrad and I hugged Kiandra, then Kiandra hopped into his car, and away they drove:



This week will be an adventure for sure! I can't wait to see what God has planned for this week and the stories Kiandra will bring home when she returns....whenever that may be because she wasn't even sure when that would be.....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...