Saturday, January 5, 2013

Boo-yah! First New Year's Resolution completed!


Done! 

Stopped at the fabric store on the way home from the school -- I was there for about an hour this afternoon because Kaden and Kezia had a "job interview" this afternoon. They have agreed to walk and play with one of my former students' dog for a few weeks over the lunch hour because the grandparents are spending part of the winter in Florida and can't take the dog during the day like they usually do. Kezia and Kaden will initially do the job together but then will take turns heading over there on the lunch hour--the house is literally next to the school--and will walk and play with the dog for about half an hour. Kaden, who has always dreamed of having a dog, will love this job.--anyway... on our way home, we stopped at the fabric store and bought fabric. Kaden and Kezia picked their own and I chose for Kiandra, who was babysitting. 

When I got home, I quickly washed and dried the fabric because Conrad is disconnecting the washer and dryer to tile the laundry room. According to plan, he'll finish the tiling tonight and the grout tomorrow...we'll see. 

Here's the fabric ready to go...


 and an hour later I had finished all three bags! I made them exactly like the Christmas bags I made last summer...tutorial here. The only thing I didn't take into account was that in order for the bags to open wide enough, I would need double the amount of cording. So, the bags are done but only Kiandra's is completed. Which is ok, because she is also the first one who will try it out when she heads to Jazz camp in just a few weeks. I have a few days to get Kezia and Kaden's bag ready for when they had off to winter camp a few days after Kiandra returns.

Total cost was less than $40.00 for all three bags, but I still have to buy more cord for the other bags but I think it was 39 cents a metre. I did use my show and save to save 20% off the total and it would have been cheaper if Kezia didn't have such expensive taste, lol!

3 comments:

TammyIsBlessed said...

How much material did you need and how big did you make them? What all fits inside - sleeping bag and pillow?

TammyIsBlessed said...

Oh, and nicely done too btw! :) Impressive to accomplish one of your goals so quickly. I better get a move on :)

Pamela said...

I used a metre and a half for each bag. I probably could have gone a bit smaller but it easily holds a pillow and a large comforter....our kids prefer bedding (sheets and comforters) now to sleeping bags. Kaden and Kiandra's material was less than $7.00 a meter and then 20% off but Kezia's was almost $15.00 a meter and then 20% off.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...