Sunday, December 16, 2012

Psalm 34:18


My heart is heavy tonight. The news of Friday's elementary school shooting left me in shock and sadness this weekend but today, as my facebook feed and my yahoo news page floods with pictures of the victims my heart aches. These little people were six and seven and the same age as the students I spend each day with. As their bright smiles and huge eyes stare at me from the computer screen, I can't help but cry. Twenty little lives. Almost my entire class. Cut short and ending much sooner than anyone could have imagined. Families that will forever be changed. 

Kiandra's friend from church was a Kindergarten mentor for one of the victims before she moved to Connecticut this last summer. It brings the tragedy just a wee bit closer. We can't even begin to understand why something so evil and senseless could happen. No doubt the media will try to explain it and this story with all its gruesome details will be in the headlines for a long time. 

My prayer tonight is for the people left behind. I cannot fathom the depths of despair that the parents and families of the victims are experiencing. My heart is heavy for them. The absence of those children in the future years will leave a void and I think about all the missed milestones those children will never reach. As a parent, I can't imagine the magnitude of this unspeakable loss. It is a reminder to me that my children are not mine, they are loaned to me for a time, and only God knows when that time will end. 

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" Psalm 34:18

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...