Monday, October 29, 2012

Grade 1 Book

This is my 4th year teaching Grade 1. Every year, I have worked with my Grade 1 class to write, illustrate, and publish a Grade 1 book. The students each write and illustrate 1 page and then I take pictures of the entire process of writing and illustrating and add those photos to the end of the book. Families have a chance to order the book and a copy of it is donated to our school library. It is awesome.

The first year, we modelled our book on author and illustrator Eric Carle and wrote "Grade 1, Grade 1, What do you see?". The second year, we modelled our book after Barbara Reid and made plasticine pictures in our book, "Into the Ark, Into the Ark". Last year, our inspiration was Mo Willems and we wrote "The Pigeon Wants a Pet". This year, inspired by Eric Litwin and James Dean, we chose to write our own "Pete the Cat" book. Our book is called "Pete the Cat and the Bad Day" and it is all ready for publishing on Blurb.com. See?


The problem is that as soon as I click "Order Book" (that little tab on the bottom right) the entire thing shuts down!!! The Booksmart program is right on my computer and so the book is not online at all and I can't get it to upload to the Blurb site! After trying at least 27 times, I just gave up. So frustrating! We also tried to register Kaden for his Quebec trip in 2014 because they are offering a $275.00 early booking bonus to register now and I think it locks in the price too if we book now instead of waiting. Somehow that wasn't working either....

I wonder if Hurricane Sandy has anything to do with it? If so, I should be thankful that simple computer issues are my problem and not the wrath of a Hurricane. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...