Sunday, August 19, 2012

Thou shall not steal

Our church has been doing a series of messages on the 10 commandments this summer. Today's message was on Commandment #8- Thou shall not steal. The pastor speaking today, challenged everyone with his thoughts on this passage. To really illustrate a point, he asked in the congregation to draw their most prized possession on a slip of paper that was included in the bulletin. I drew my laptop.


He then asked us to read Psalm 24:1 which says: 

The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
    the world, and all who live in it;

Everything. in. it. That means even our most prized possessions. If everything belongs to God, then our use of it inappropriately in kind of like stealing, isn't it? Hmmmm...

The other day, my friend Kelly linked this blog post, which I think fits in so well with this topic. I don't want to steal time away from my kids and away from the time I should be doing something else. This was a good reminder as I recently added an iphone to my life. I need to remember that screen time is not more important than real life. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...