Thursday, October 18, 2007

1 class down....

It's hard to believe...but my first class ended yesterday. WOW! It was only a 1 credit course and so it was only 6 classes in duration and now it is done. I guess I technically have 1 more assignment to do for the class but she told us that we may want to include some of our personal practicum experience in our synthesis write-up and so I will be leaving that assignment until after I begin student teaching. The other assignment for the class was to create a 15 minute lesson plan that included 1 specific learning outcome form a core subject area, 1 outcome from the music curriculum and 1 for the movement curriculum and present it to the class as you would do in a real classroom. For some odd reason, this really stressed me out! I am totally competent at handling 30 girls on Wednesday nights in the kitchen but handling 30 adults pretending to be kindergarten students was another story!

I was confident in our plan and my partner and I had worked through all of the technical details, but sitting there for a 1/2 hour waiting to present actually made me feel sick! I don't know why I was so nervous??? Despite my initial feelings about group work and getting to know each other, there is some solace in knowing that everyone is in the same boat and we are there to encourage and support each other. Maybe I was nervous about putting on "kindergarten teacher's voice" for my classmates. I have always found it easier to work with kids without other adults around to laugh at my silliness and enthusiasm. This is definitely an area I need to work on as I will have to "perform" for my co-operating teacher, faculty adviser, parents in my classroom, my principal...etc.

Presenting the lesson and acting as elementary students for the presentations of others was quite funny and we all had a good laugh. One presentation was a book about Beluga whales and there was a picture of the Northern Lights and the "teacher" asked, "does anyone know what this is??" and a few of the people in my class answered "Aurora Borealis" and we all started laughing and the teacher said "wow, this grade 1 class is full of geniuses!"

I guess my fear yesterday came from being self-conscious of what others were thinking of me. What were those people that passed by in the hallway yesterday thinking when they saw me leading a group of adults in a chant "there are 3 primary colours....there are three primary colours....red, blue, and yellow!....red, blue, and yellow!....Buses are yellow!....buses are yellow!....stop signs are red....stop signs are red!....etc. etc. Or what was that person passing by the window of our classroom thinking when this group of adults was jumping from red square to yellow square and making sad faces or happy faces to associate the colours with feelings? Were they laughing at me? Was it funny? Maybe I have it all wrong...maybe they were looking at our class with our giggling and smiling and jumping and hopping and wondering why their class wasn't as fun?! Maybe....

Maybe I am just learning to stretch myself and to not worry about what other people think.... a lesson that is important to more than just aspiring elementary teachers....

2 comments:

Lori A said...

I am still learning that lesson, a daily struggle! And for the record, I would be one of those people passing by wondering why I didn't get to have as much fun in my classes!

ValleyGirl said...

Seriously, if I'd passed by a window into that kind of a class when I was in university, I'd have switched programs instantly. It sounds like SO much fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...