Sunday, September 16, 2007

Funny Story...

To set the stage for this story, I have to go back to last January....
I was four months away from finishing my arts degree and I THOUGHT I had all my requirements met. My major was History and I knew I had to take at least 6 credit hours in 3 different history areas, but I thought because I had taken 6 credits in Canadian history, 6 in African and 6 in General I was ok---WRONG! It turns out that my African course was under "General" and so I was one subject area short and if I did not complete the requirements I would not graduate!!! I had already signed up to taking "crime and punishment in early modern England" which was under "European" (...But I was actually in the process of trying to get out of it, lol!) So, I quickly checked the course schedule (thank goodness I got the letter before the class changing deadline!!) and there was 1 course in European history that was available and it was "Making of Modern Ukraine!!" I was forced to take it in order to graduate on time and so I did.
I started the course without even really being sure of where exactly the Ukraine was, lol! I felt at a definite disadvantage because I had no previous knowledge to draw on and it was not even close to a personal interest of mine. However, I survived the course and because I rock at memorization (*snaps for me!*) and the fact that after about 14 essays a year I have become a really good researcher I finished with an A in the course and I was actually wondering how close I was to making that A+ because it would have been very close.
Fast forward to this last week. I came home from one of my class days with an email asking if I had received the letter and they were wondering if I was going to be attending the awards ceremony on Sunday. I curiously emailed back...."what awards ceremony??" She sent me back a response which included the mailing address of where they ha sent the letter which turned out to be the address of a friend of mine with the same name (also a funny story of its own that I know two people besides myself with the exact same name!!) who did attend the same university three years ago. Anyway, through additional emails back and forth I found out that I was going to be getting an award for excellence in a Ukrainian course "The Making of Modern Ukraine"!!!
Today, I dragged the family to the ceremony (which I might add was also done partly in Ukrainian!!) and I got an award and a CHEQUE!! My hard work really paid off and now I have $200.00 to spend! I am still laughing at this funny story but I am feeling reaffirmed as to the choices I have made (or was forced to make!). Early in our marriage, Conrad and I received a plaque with the verse "For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord..." and I really feel this path is the one I am supposed to be on. From the letter telling me that I was short a course that I needed to graduate....to the availability of a course that fit into my timetable.....to graduating on time (which I wouldn't have without this course!).... to getting into both Universities ... and so on. This award is almost like a pat on the back, saying "great job and you are on the right track!"
Now what will I spend the money on??? New dressy boots??, textbooks??, a lamp or chest for the living room?? Hmmmmm....

3 comments:

Tish said...

OK, so that was rather a Tish type moment! Congratulations on your prize. So what did you decide to do with it?

Pamela said...

Well, considering my first 4 text books were $270.00...I'm thinking it will go towards that!

Lori said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome and freaky in a pre-ordained kinda way. It's so cool to actually SEE Him looking out for us, isn't it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...