Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Day 2 adventures...

I arrived at the university at 9:15, even though my classes don't start until 10:40. (Today I decided to waste time at home instead of waste time at school and so I'm going to attempt to take a later bus and see how that goes!) One of the reasons I don't mind wasting time at school is that there are always computer labs to hang out in and I can spend time surfing the net or catching up on email. Yesterday, I found the Education computer lab easily (a lot easier than my first class, but I will get to that later!) I entered the room which was nicely equipped with 20 PCs and 20 macs- (which is very cool because I have always wanted to try one out...many of the "cool" people on recipezaar use one and it was only the price that prevented me from getting one when I chose my new laptop) Anyway, I entered the room, which was empty except for one person...very weird because most computer labs on campus are always busy, but since this one is reserved for education students only and the fact that most of them were in class (except keeners like myself, lol!) it made sense. So I walk in and I am greeted with a hearty "hello!" I actually almost looked behind me to see who he was talking too, but quickly realized that it was me because I was the only other person around. I should add that I have spent literally hours and hours in campus computer labs. Last year alone I had a 4 hour spare every Tuesday and I often spent my whole spare there and I have NEVER, never, ever had someone say hello to me! Again it comes down to the anonymous thing...I have become so used to it that I have become uncomfortable with this whole "get to know each other" concept...something I definitely need to work on... but I am thinking given the events of the past 2 days I won't have to look far for opportunities!

At 10:20 the lab begins to fill up as classes are out and I decide to find my class, which I guess I should have done earlier, given how hard it was to find! The room is 222 and so I know it has to be on the main level where all rooms start with a "2". I saunter down the main hallway ...."224" "226" "230"...oops wrong way, I nonchalantly turn around and head in the other direction and on the other side of room "224" is a staircase leading up to the third floor...(what?!) on the other side of the staircase is the graduate studies wing and there doesn't seem to be a room 222! So I check my schedule again...yup 222... so I head off down behind the Hard Chalk cafe (the education building eating area) and continue on my search, I find room 290, but still no 222! This is the EDUCATION building you'd think someone could have arranged the rooms in a logical order! So, I stop to look at the posted map and realize that there are 3 others looking at the map, I turn to them and ask "are you looking for room 222?" (See...I am already reaching out to others, lol!) and it turns out that they are...phew! I am not the only one. Another student leans over and says "I know where that is...I'll show you!" and she did...it was tucked down a tiny hallway behind the Hard Chalk Cafe...on the way out I actually noticed a sign above the hallway with an arrow pointing and saying 222, i should have looked up instead of just looking at the signs on the doors...Doesn't it always help to look up? ;)

So my first class is "Teacher and Technology" and I should mention that I have already taken this course...13 years ago...that's what happens when you take the long way around... sometimes you have to take the same steps twice! Thirteen years ago, this course was just a little bit different...just a little, lol! I learned how to feed a film wheel into the projector, I learned how to work a film strip projector and I learned how to change a lightbulb in the overhead.... oh the technology, lol! In the next 8 weeks I will learn how to calculate grades in a spread sheet to determine percentages, present a powerpoint presentation (hey! it's on my 101/1001 list!), create an educational website (*yikes*) among other things. What a change from the last course I took by the same name. It was disappointing that there were actually students that don't remember having those big wheeled projectors...sigh... It should be a very educational course for me and I have always wanted to learn these things and now I will be forced to.

My second class followed my half hour lunch (which I tried to eat by myself but two separate people came up to introduce themselves...what's with all this get to know each other stuff??) was Educational psychology and I had been warned that it was a very boring class. I thought it was ok and I was impressed that in the two hour class that the prof was able to memorize all of our names and actually call on us by name. Although maybe I found it less boring than others because I did spend most of the class reading over the syllabus and shaking in my boots at what I read! One of the assignments for this class is to write a text book article which will be published as an online text book on Educational Psychology (what??!!) Between the two early years sections we will produce a text book in wiki format (like wikipedia but not able to be edited by the general public...only students from our university) Publish a text book article for everyone to read?! Now I am scared! But just like in the past, I will truck on and gradually make it through...one step at a time. In the two classes I have had already, I have 9 assignments to complete by November 8.
I'll post updates everyday for this first week and then I need to buckle down and get to work, but I think these entries will be fun to reflect on my thoughts as the year progresses and in the meantime, all of you reading this can share in my first week.

Have a great day...I need to go and catch my bus or I won't have anything to update on tonight!

5 comments:

pamj said...

Day Two sounded good but I still can't believe what I hear when you try to make out that you are SO 'anti-social' because that just does not seem like you!! Although the 'school you' could be different right?!? I like to read what it is like in the Faculty of Ed, some things make me want to get my butt in gear to finish my degree to get in there too, but others (like the textbook articles etc) bring back down to reality!
Good Luck to you. I know you can do it!!

ValleyGirl said...

That does sound like a lot of work. I'll stick to doing one course at a time, thanks!

Lori said...

I was just about to say the same thing, the 'shy' Pam just doesn't correlate with the Pam I know, or the 'Pam at school' stories I used to hear when we were in highschool. I'm the same way though....it's meeting NEW people that gives me jitters...I don't know how I end up with any new friends, lol!
P.S. If you learn how to create a web page I should get you to teach me!

Andrea said...

sounds like it will be an exciting year, full of lots of adventures.

have fun!

Pamela said...

I know I am a different person at school. For my first degree, I merely saw it as a means to an end I had little interest in getting to know the other "kids"(-most of them were)because I was there to get me degree and move on. Now making the switch to actually getting to know my "school friends" is not an easy switch. I also know that my life is so packed full right now...as my "real friends" can attest...when was the last time we actually got together?? It's hard to imagine having time in my life for more people when I can't even seem to make time for the ones I already have?? Does that make sense? I just need to change my attitude and realize that Ed is where I wanted to be and now I need to get to know people...I'm just having trouble switching gears....but I'm still on the road!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...