Friday, September 14, 2007

and I survived the first week!

Today was my last day of new classes for the first term. I was ready for the week to be over. After two years of being spoiled with a Tuesday/Thursday only schedule, the change to every day this week has been crazy. I kept thinking "man! I have to go to school again?!" Thankfully, I have the next few Mondays off and then I can get used to the four day week before the all day/every day student teaching block begins in November.

Today's first class was the philosophy of teaching (or something like that, lol!). We were told to recall our earliest memory of school and what impact it had on us. I can't remember my first day of kindergarten but I can clearly remember my first day of grade 2. In the spring before grade 2, my parents had taken me on a tour of the school I would attend in September. It was a brand new private school in only its second year of existence. At the time of the tour, there were very few students and many of the "rooms" were just divided by bookcases and furniture. That summer however, the real wall dividers were put in place and the building took on a more official school look. The first day of classes, my mom sent me off just before 7 am for a 2 hour bus ride and I arrived at my new school where the building was totally unfamiliar and totally different from what I had seen the few months earlier. I was lost, scared, and ready to go home. I was finally helped by someone and I eventually found my room and the rest of my 5 years at that school were wonderful and I am thankful that my parents decided to send me there. However, I wonder why my parents did not accompany me on that first day and especially as my kids reach that age, I know that I would have not been able to send them off the way my parents did. The feelings of that day are just as clear as the day I first experienced them. When the prof asked what impact they had on our lives I started to wonder if the apprehension of the first day of grade two had caused me to be apprehensive of any first day of school? My first day of Junior High was stressful as I did not know anyone and the very first afternoon was shops at the HIGH SCHOOL! I don't really remember the first day of high school, but surrounding myself with my friends probably helped. I remember my first day of University and the dread I felt even though I knew I wanted to be there. I had a severely stressful first day back 3 years ago and I almost felt like giving up that very first day. Now again, I enter the unfamiliar and I have an overwhelming first day. Can this all be traced back to my grade 2 memory?? Maybe? It gave me something to think about.

The second class was language and literacy which I found very interesting. The first exercise was to line up in birthday order without using words or writing. It was not an easy task and certainly places a real value on the importance of reading and writing. I have to write a poem for that class that is due next week...I have that and many more things on my "do to" list this weekend!

My classes were over by noon, because on Fridays they start at 8:30 (ack!) but it was nice to be home and get some things done around the house. It was even nicer when one of my mom friends offered to drive me home as we live very close together. In fact her son could even be on Kaden's team as we both play out of the same community center-small world! I did have some excitement when I got home because once again I locked myself out of the house! (what else is new...I seem to lock myself out of something at least once a month! Thank goodness our van has that keyless entry!) and so I ended up crawling in through the window! ah...a good way to end the week.

4 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Haha, a fitting ending for an adventure-filled first week of school!!!

pamj said...

con hasn't hid a key in the bbq for you yet?

Pamela said...

No, I keep telling him I don't need one...I really should leave one with the neighbours!

Lori said...

Well, your head must be spinning from such a full and challenging week, but I know you'll rise to the challenge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...