Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday Thirteen


Lessons I learned while camping at Falcon Lake last weekend:
1. Sleeping in a tent trailer is, in fact, much better than sleeping on the ground in a tent.
2. It is possible to be within 10 feet of two deer and not have them run away.
3. The showers at the campground have the water pressure of rain...and they are about the same temperature as rain too!
4. The shower, in addition to being lukewarm and having no pressure, is of little use because about 4.75 minutes after being clean, the kids will be dirty again!
5. Ice cream is available at the beach concession stand for only $1.00 a cone from 6-9 every evening.
6. The cool air in the evening and chilly morning trip to the bathroom showed me that summer is drawing to a close and fall will arrive soon.
7. A trip to Kenora for an iced Cap is a wonderful way to get through the camping experience.
8. Do not leave a super pack of marshmallows in a warm vehicle unless you are trying to create the world's largest marshmallow!
9. My kids are getting older and more independent. It's hard to believe how far they have come since the first annual camping trip we took when our kids were 4, 2, and 3 months.
10. Resorting to paper plates and juice boxes makes the cleanup for 11 people more manageable! (The friends we camp with have 5 people in their family plus their exchange student from France)
11. Statistically it is amazing that only 1 out of the 6 kids got stung when they came across a bee's nest while hiking.
12. It takes a full day of laundry to wash and dry all of the camping stuff to remove the stench of campfire from the clothes!
13. I am still vastly outnumbered when it comes to disliking camping and my kids (and husband) are longing to camp more often than just once a year. *sigh*

9 comments:

MamaArcher said...

sounds like a lot of fun to me!

ValleyGirl said...

See? Not only is camping not that bad, it's downright educational!! Glad you survived!

Nancy J. Bond said...

Ah, but it's all so wonderful. :) I loved camping trips when my girls were small. I still love to camp. Very nice list.

Indiana Amy said...

I used to think of myself as a camping kind of girl. Then I went camping as an adult. Yeah, not so much...

Julie said...

Aah, camping! I haven't been in so long. Sounds like you had fun and learned some quite invaluable lessons! :) The marshmallow one got me, I am pretty sure I've done that a lot, um I mean once. LOL I liked your list. Mine is up too if you want to stop by!

Andrea said...

I'm telling ya -- send Conrad and the kids on a father-kid bonding camping trip once a year. It will save you from going more than once!!

Good for you for finding some positives though. It's hard sometimes, isn't it??

I'm glad someone else out there can relate to me and my strong dislike for camping! (even in a tent trailer)

tommiea said...

Sounds like all had a great time...

I am more of an RV camper! LOL..

thanks for visiting my TT

So Lost said...

That's it. You've made me ready to go camping again.

damozel said...

My camping days are over. Even sleeping in a camper sounds too hard for me---and the showers with the water pressure of rain...! But I envy you the deer and the other satisfactions...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...