Saturday, August 18, 2007

Technology is amazing!

On Wednesday, Conrad and I picked up a PVR for the tv in our room. I am not usually one to keep up with technology and its latest advances (I have trouble wrapping my head around how a fax machine works!!), so this may be old news to everyone reading this but I was blown away! A PVR, I think it stand for personal video recorder, gives you the ability to pause and rewind live tv! It is the weirdest thing! Say you are watching the news and you miss something...you can actually rewind it and find out what you missed??? Amazing! It also allows you to tape your favourite shows without a tape. You can even set it to tape your favourite shows...every time they are on. AND you can tape two shows at the same time!! I think you can save 60 hours of programming to the internal memory, to watch at your leisure, and fast forward the commercials too. Anyway, this new discovery is really cool and I look forward to having the ability to watch my favourite shows on my schedule and not according to the tv guide.

One thing that struck me was that my kids will be growing up thinking that this is normal. Much like Kiandra cannot imagine life without call display or cell phones, my kids will probably not remember not having the ability to pause/rewind tv. I think as technology continues to develop products, the gaps between the generations will be even wider than in the past. My parents didn't even have a tv to watch cartoons, I grew up with only a few channels and cartoons only on Saturday morning, but my kids have grown up with 24 hour treehouse tv AND now have the ability to rewind those cartoons if they want to watch them again and again!

Another thing that struck me was how the instant gratification that technology is providing is supposed to make our lives easier and save us time. We don't have to wait for our pictures because we get a preview right in the window of our digital camera. We don't have to wait to see who's calling because of call display. We don't have to wait for supper because we have drive through windows and microwaves to get or make food quickly. We don't have to wait for letters because we have email to communicate. We don't even have to wait for the commercials anymore because now we have a PVR and we can fast forward right through them. You'd think with the elimination of all that waiting that I would have more time....why is it that I still never seem to have enough time?

5 comments:

Andrea said...

That sounds so cool! I would love to have one of those for my TV. It's hard to fit in TV shows around the TV guide's schedule.

Tara said...

We have a pvr build right into our satelite receiver and I love it! If the phone rings, and you have seen who calls because of the call display and you want to answer it, you can just push pause so you don't miss anything and then push play again to continue where you left off. Technology is amazing!

ValleyGirl said...

That sounds very cool. But time savers aren't really time savers because all they do is encourage us to cram MORE things into those few precious minutes we've saved. But I still love technology. Some, anyway. Like, what the heck would I do without my computer?!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Oooooh, a PVR!!! What kind did you get?

Pamela said...

There are different kinds,?? lol! See how much I know!?? We just picked it up from Shaw...the only one they had! We have been really enjoying it already!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...