Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Roll Kuchen!




One of my Summer Goals was to make and enjoy a traditional Mennonite meal of Watermelon and Roll Kuchen. On Monday, Kezia and I spent the morning making, rolling, and frying. When we had finished, just over two hours later, she had helped me make 268 roll kuchen! It was a fun time to share with her and of course the finished product was enjoyed by all too! Nothing says summer better than something deep fried in lard, eh? lol! Oh well, once a year won't hurt us...everything is ok in moderation, right?!


The best part was when my sister-in-law, Pamela, stopped by later that day. We were parked in our favourite spot by the wading pool, and she called us to let us know she was leaving a surprise on our door step, and we invited her to stay for supper. So, thank you Pam for helping me check one of my Summer Goals off of my list! :)

I packed the remainder of the Roll Kuchen away in the freezer and so we will be able to share them with at least one more group of friends before the summer is over!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Mmmmm......yummy!!

ValleyGirl said...

Yum! How do you reheat your already cooked rollkuchen? I always leave mine raw to freeze and then throw them frozen into the oil to cook them. Do they reheat well?

Pamela said...

I had never even thought of freezing the raw roll kuchen! My mom always froze it already cooked. To freeze them, I cool them completely and tehn put them into a large ziploc. To serve: remove from original bag and transfer to another bag or right into serving bowl and allow to come to room temp... it usually doesn't take long!

roverT said...

I love roll kuchen and watermelon...the greatest mennonite meal substitute ever to come around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...