Sunday, July 1, 2007

Happy Birthday Canada!

We sang the National Anthem in Church today...or as Kaden used to call it until he was about 4 years old...."The Hockey Song"!! After the common well-known first verse, we sang (following the words on the big screen, because I sure ididn't know them!) two addtional verses and I found the lyrics on wikipedia:
O Canada! Where pines and maples grow,
Great prairies spread and Lordly rivers flow!
How dear to us thy broad domain,From East to Western sea!
The land of hope for all who toil,
The true North strong and free!
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada,
we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our Dominion, in thy loving care.
Help us to find, O God, in thee,
A lasting rich reward.As waiting for the better day,
We ever stand on guard.God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
It was a reminder to me of how lucky I am to live in a country like Canada. As I sang the words of the song I felt like the lyrics were meant as a prayer to God. My thoughts of thankfulness were emphasized when the feature music was a song by one of the boys from the family that our church helped bring to Canada from Africa year and a half ago. I thought about what hardships he must have lived through before he arrived here. I am so thankful for where I live and the religious and personal freedoms I have here. We are so blessed!

1 comment:

ValleyGirl said...

I always have bittersweet feelings about being patriotic. That our national anthem is actually a prayer is wonderful, but how much you wanna bet, if that knowledge was widespread, we'd have a different anthem in a matter of minutes? Cool that you sang it in church, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...