Saturday, July 28, 2007

A great lunch packing tip!

Well, my kids just completed a great week at Day Camp and I was reminded about how much I loathe lunch packing! Up until this point I have been lucky to avoid this task most days, as I was only in school part-time, we live about 2 minutes from the school, and Conrad has Thursdays off. However, this year with all of us in school full-time it will change from once a week packing to packing everyday for 4 (Conrad will still take leftovers). Here's a wonderful idea that I came across online last year that I thought I'd share....

A Homemade Lunchable!

My kids love the real lunchables...sort of...they won't eat the fake meat or the plastic cheese so basically I am paying for the snack sized chocolate bar and 4 crackers, lol! So when I stumbled on this idea it was perfect...it was the fun single serve pockets of the real lunchable, but I could fill them with whatever I knew they liked. I bought the containers at the dollar store and now each kid has their own. I keep meaning to find a way to label them with each kid's name so that I don't accidentally mix up the lunches...I know my friend Shaylene (I know you're reading this, lol!) has a great solution for putting the kid's names on it, since Kaden has returned from her son's party with a personally labeled pails and snow saucers as goody bag treats!

The pockets can be filled with any of your kids favourite snacks such as:

goldfish crackers, raisins, yogurt covered raisins, teddy grahams, prtezels, deli meat, sliced cheese, fruit, veggies, mini cupcakes, hickory sticks, jello, pinwheel sandwiches, popcorn, mini cookies, dry cereal such as fruit loops, multigrain cheerios, etc, etc...

Making these homemade lunchables saves room in the lunch box because you won't have so many different containers or bags and is a snap to clean up....remove the inserts, place in dishwasher! Since it can be washed and reused, it is better for the environment too!

It's a little over a month until daily lunch packing begins ......*sigh*.....

5 comments:

Lori said...

That's a really cool idea, and looks great for portion control. I'm going to store this in my 'for future use' folder!

Lori said...

That's a really cool idea, and looks great for portion control. I'm going to store this in my 'for future use' folder!

tommiea said...

I do this for my son's lunches...the preschool he attends requires that you provide a fruit, veggie, protein and carb with every lunch. No sweets are allowed either!!

If you have something moist that might run into one of the other ocmpartments, you can line it with a cupcake liner. Some are waxed and won't get soggy. Also I have seen the rubbery latex ones as well.

thanks for visiting!

Andrea said...

That's a super idea!! Something to keep in mind for when I have to start packing lunches on a daily basis...2 years from now!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

That's a great idea! But, will it fit into Emma's pretty Princess lunch bag?! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...