Monday, July 23, 2007

From Full House to Empty House!

We have had overnight company for over a week now and although I enjoyed it (immensely!) it will be nice to have some down time. Today the kids started day camp at our church and so I dropped them off this morning before 9 and they need to be picked up at 4:30. The house seems so big and empty with just me in it. It will be even stranger on Wednesday, when I drop them off at 9:00 and won't see them until Thursday evening at 6:00 for the family BBQ because of the overnight sleepover. This is such a strange sense of freedom that I'm not sure I know what to do with. It makes me think ahead to fall when all the kids will be in school full-time :( I'm not ready to be a mom of 3 kids in school! I am glad that I have my own busy schedule ahead of me because having an empty house all day everyday would be very sad for me and so I am happy to be at the point where I'll be gone all day too. I do appreciate the fact that my kids are getting older and more independent but I also have had this active role of full-time/always-needed mom and I feel that I am losing part of that role. I should be happy, especially when I think of a mom I ran into at the Day Camp drop off. I used to baby-sit regularly for her oldest son (I learned he is now 21 *gasp*!) and she was dropping her youngest son off at the camp who has autism. He is the same age as Kiandra (10) and yet he needs to have a full-time aid to help him. The independence that my kids enjoy is still out of her son's reach. Would I desire that kind of dependence on me for my kids? No, not really. Am I ready for them to be so independent?? Again, not really.
I will enjoy this week with the "ME" time that I don't always get and I will love that my house will stay tidy for longer than 30 seconds and I will listen eagerly to the adventures that my kids will share when they return at the end of the day. I think that will be my goal...to enjoy the moment because it will be over before I know it!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Enjoy your peace & quiet!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...