Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Fridge Fiasco




Four and a half years ago, the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, - (1 day before I was hosting 35 people for dinner!!), my old fridge stopped working and I got my dream fridge: a huge white side-by-side with the water and ice in the door. Now I know that there are 2 kinds of people when it comes to these monster fridges: those who love them and those that hate them. I, for one, LOVE them! I love the spaciousness of the fridge (all that room to hold all my pop, lol!), the upright shelves in the freezer, and most of all I love the instant access to ice (crushed and cubed) and cold filtered water. *sigh* I love my fridge!






My kids, of course, love the ability to pour themselves their own water and it has been a nightly ritual to pour each child a cup of water and ice before bed. Surprisingly, this has not resulted in many wet beds, even when they were younger. To the kids it seems like we have always had the fridge and it is no big deal to them to get their own water. I remember one time Kaden had his friend Stephen over and Kaden asked for a drink. I gave him two cups and told him he could pour one for Stephen and one for himself. Stephen watched in amazement as Kade filled his glass and handed it to him. "Cool" he said and then paused for a moment, "...now do apple juice!"






Anyway, three days ago, my dream fridge stopped working! Why is it always the appliance you already love?! Why couldn't it be the old washer or the old dryer?? But no, sadly, it was my favourite fridge. Aside from the obvious inconvenience of moving all the perishable items to the basement, I discovered how much we did use that water and ice! When the kids went to bed that night, Kiandra looked at me in shock..."How am I going to fill my cup?" I laughed and pointed toward the kitchen sink. She looked at me incredulously, "From the tap??!!...without ice!" So yes, we have become quite accustomed to our ice and water...or maybe it's that generation gap thing again...I almost had to stop myself from saying "When I was your age, we always had water from the tap, and it was always slightly warm, especially when someone forgot to fill the ice cube tray!" (To which I'm sure she would have said, "what's an ice cube tray?")






The bad news is that my young fridge has a dysfunctional compressor. The good news is that due the circumstances at Conrad's work, we are going to be able to upgrade our fridge to a stainless steel one, (although stainless is definitely not my first choice!) But hey, if we took that fridge, we had the opportunity get a matching stainless dishwasher too, and that was one appliance I was hoping would go on the fritz. There are many inconveniences with Conrad working long hours in retail appliance sales, but I have to say, at times like these ... there are some nice perques to it too!


***UPDATE***
My appliances arrived last Thursday, and the ice maker produced enough ice for Kezia to have water and ice in her water bottle for her last soccer game!





5 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Now where are the pictures of your neatly organized and labelled freezer contents??!! I keep saying to myself, 'someday, I'm going to pop in there and see if her fridge/freezer really looks like it does for the pictures on RecipeZaar!!!!' Haha, do your kids know some people's water still comes from a WELL?! Fortunately, we have an electric pump....

Andrea said...

My fridge is so plain...any chance you could get a good deal for us on one of those fancy ones??? :)

PamJ said...

so how is the new fridge working out? does it have water and ice too? poor kids if it doesnt!! lol...

ValleyGirl said...

You got a new dishwasher, TOO?! That's just not fair. Looks beautiful. Someday, I will have a dishwasher again -- and maybe even stainless steel appliances.

Pamela said...

yeah! :) The fridge and dishwasher came as a package deal which made us decide to take the pair. They each have slight cosmetic defects, which allowed us to get both.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...