Monday, June 18, 2007

My first Marathon Day!


If anyone had told me, even five years ago, that one day I would participate in one of the Manitoba Marathon events I would have laughed at them! I have never been very good at anything athletic and never had the desire to participate in anything either, but 3 years ago, in early spring, prompted by our church small group's study of the book Too Busy Not to Pray, I started a ritual of walking a couple times a week. I used this time to pray and think and just relax. By the beginning of summer I was able to walk at a pretty good pace and someone joked with me that soon I'd be running my usual route! I laughed at the thought of me... running! However, curiosity got the best of me and the next time I went out for my usual walk I decided to see how far I could actually run on the route I had been walking on for over two months. I was shocked to discover that not only could I run nearly the entire route that day, but even more shocking was that I actually enjoyed the run! I ran a couple times a week for the rest of the summer but I stopped when the weather turned colder in the fall...and between going back to school and the increasing busy-ness of the kid's schedules I never really got back into the habit of running again....

Fast Forward to eight weeks ago.... The girls came home from school with an invitation to join the school's marathon club, which would train 3 times a week and then participate in the Manitoba Marathon's Super Run on Father's Day. Students, teachers, and parents were all invited to join and so the first couple of practices, all 5 of us joined in. After realizing that the run was 2.6 miles and not 2.6 km we weren't sure if Kaden would actually be able to run the whole way and so it was decided that the girls would do the run and the boys would watch. So for the past couple of weeks the girls and I have been busy training and I rediscovered that I really do enjoy running (even in spite of my aversion to all things outdoors) and it has been fun to share the experience with my daughters. I was so proud of their dedication to the practices and I was excited to participate with them when the big day came.



Race Day, June 17, 2007


The third of four waves of Super Run Runners
over 3,500 runners in all

We were up at 5:00 a.m. (shockingly early for someone like me who is rarely out of bed by 8:00!) and we arrived at the University of Manitoba before 6:00. Hundreds of people were already there and many more arrived before the big race began at 7:00. The excitement in the crowd was contagious and the the girls and I were quite excited to be in the Super Run and at that point Kaden (and Conrad, lol!) were a bit disappointed that they were only there to watch. We had not even started the race when Kaden declared "I am definitely going to run next year!"




This is a photo of the final 1/2 lap of the track before the finish line. Conrad said he almost missed us because he didn't think we would be entering the stadium so soon. ( You can see Kezia's pink pants in the middle of this picture.)










The Super Run is 2.6 miles long and runs from the Max Bell Center, down University Cres, winds up through the area where W.M.E.S. is and then ends at the University of Manitoba Stadium. We have measured out a route at home that covers the same distance and on Friday, the girls and I ran a practice run and our time was about 40 minutes ( which included a few stretches of walking!) , and was slightly longer than my personal best time of about 33 minutes...(hey I said can I run, but I did not say that I ran fast, lol!) Therefore, yesterday I was anticipating a time of over 40 minutes, but either our course at home is longer, or it was adrenaline that made us speed along, because the girls and I ran the entire route! (I really did not think that the girls could go the distance, especially after our practice run on Friday!) I was so proud of them! We finished with a time of 31 minutes and 10 seconds for both girls and 31 minutes and 13 seconds for me! What a fun experience and I was glad to share it with my daughters!



So... that was my first Marathon Day experience and I don't think it will be my last. The girls are already talking about the race next year and Kaden and Conrad are eager to join in too. I'm even considering trying the relay event next, that is if I can find anyone to join me in making a team for next year. Each leg is approximately twice as long as the super run, anyone up for the challenge?? Hey, if I can master that, maybe I'll even considering trying to run the half marathon....ok that's a BIG maybe...but it's always fun to dream, lol! (Photo taken after the finish line! I look much hotter than I felt! )




9 comments:

myron said...

Way to go guys. when I read your story and came to the point where you said you are looking for people to join you in next year's relay, I heard a little voice inside me say "she needs you". So next year when you start your training, call me, because I will follow my calling and gladly volunteer my wife.

Tara said...

Congratulations to all of you!

Andrea said...

Wow -- what a cool family event. Way to go!!

Lori said...

I am very impressed! I was so intrigued by your sudden interest in running and this explains it. Maybe there is hope for me yet : )

Tish said...

Wow, you are even more amazing in person. I'm so glad to get to know you past our "partnership" in Recipezaar!

karen said...

Sounds good, great to have a goal in mind and complete it especially fun with your girls! ...last year my daughter Allison did the relay and she really enjoyed it. She also landed up doing the Regina marathon in Sept.

ValleyGirl said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I think it's not only awesome that you run, but that you set a goal for yourself and pushed yourself to reach it. VERY impressive!!

Stacey said...

My Dr. has been telling me, if you don't make time for exercise now, make time for illness later in life. I'm with Myron....I had a sudden twitch. Maybe, this is what I've been waiting for. I would definitely need to start training now though. Good for you and great bonding with your girls.

TammyIsBlessed said...

I think it's so awesome that you did that with your girls. I'm totally impressed that you did it (knowing your lack of being a sports-fanatic!) and it's amazing that your girls did it too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...