Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Another Step Closer....















University of Manitoba Graduation 2007! Well, It's official... I have graduated! I am one step closer to fulfilling my goal. It feels really good. To be honest, I wasn't even sure I wanted to attend the ceremonies but I'm glad Conrad convinced me to go. When I was in the Faculty of Education the first time right out of high school, the four year degree was all you needed to be a teacher. When the requirements changed and students now had to obtain a first degree BEFORE entering the Education Faculty, I somehow felt that finishing my Arts degree was merely a means to an end. However, today as I sat surrounded by the other graduates, and while I listened to the crowd cheering as their friend or family member crossed the stage, I was reminded that this also was an important step. I have put in 5 years of my life (2 after high school and the last 3 years since I've been back) working toward this degree and I should be proud of what I have accomplished so far. I am lucky to have this opportunity to celebrate this step and realize that I am that much closer to my goal.





When I was in high school imagining my University Graduation, I did picture myself being married....but I certainly did not think I would be cheered across the stage by my husband and my three kids!!!

Many people have told me that reaching this point is such a good example for my children. I'm not sure exactly what message I want them to get from my experience. Maybe I want them to remember how hard I had to work and how difficult it was to balance school and family life. Perhaps the message they will see is that it would be easier on them if they finish their education before they have their families. Although, I'm not sure if that's the message I want them to get. Maybe, I want them to realize that it is possible to overcome obstacles if they just set their minds on the goal. I'm not sure what my kids were thinking as they watch the graduates file across the stage and accept that expensive piece of paper, but I hope that one day, I will witness each of my own kids walk the platform and maybe, just maybe, it will be because they saw me do it and they will know that they can do it too.

PS...it's only about 730 days until I get to graduate again, lol!




3 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm sure someday your kids will realize exactly how tough this has been for you and be able to more fully appreciate that you still always had time for them. Way to go, Pam!!

Andrea said...

WAY TO GO!! You have worked so hard and you should be very proud of yourself!

Tara said...

I came to your blog through Andrea. I am her friend and neighbor. Congratulations on your graduation! Hope to be back and visit again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...